Saturday, June 20, 2009

Shopping Carts, Orphaned Baby Hedgehogs, and a Crazy Legged Frog!

So we stop by Aldi's on the way home from work because I need to restock on ice cream drum sticks...you know, the kind with fudge in the middle? Oh, yeah.....

/drool mode

So we stop by Aldi's, and they have the shopping carts you have to rent for a quarter. If you are kind enough to return the cart to the corral after shopping, you get your quarter back. Lo and behold, we get a cart with a quarter still in it! The last person hadn't taken it out of the coin slot. How nice for us! We get to shop free today! Drumsticks, breakfast sandwiches, and cheap strawberries...you are MINE!

When it's time to leave my husband asks if we should pocket the quarter, or pay it forward.

Me: Oh, pay it forward! We thought it was a nice thing to happen to us, so let's let someone else have the same experience.

Hubby: I agree!

Me: And if the next person decides to keep the quarter....MAY THEY BURN IN HELL!!

Hubby: What if it's a sweet little old lady who really needs the quarter?

Me: Then the quarter should be worth BURNING IN HELL for!

Moral of the story: I think my job is getting to me. :)

I could have possibly been stressed because I was up very late last night. Sadly, we found a momma hedgie had died, and left three little three week old babies behind. This is the first time we've ever had this happen. We've had mommies reject the babies, and fostered them to other moms or, on one memorable occasion when we didn't have another mom, to a lactating rat.

Note...the rat became a beloved member of our household. She was never named, but known for the rest of her life as momma rat. She use to love sitting on the pig's nose. Ah, the mind of a rat. :)

Anyways, I had to take these little babies away from their poor dead mommy, and I had no idea what to do with them. We ended up just giving them warm water to keep them hydrated until a store that sold kitten formula opened. Then I got to go to work while my hubby got to stay home and mix, warm, feed, and clean up kitten formula every two hours. So far the babies seem to be doing well, but we aren't! If a baby hedgie doesn't want to be fed it just curls up in a tight little ball, and all you can do is wait him/her out. They are sweet, tho, and very pretty colors. We'll hang in there and do our best with them.

How am I going to let these guys go after hand feeding them? I'll be too attached! Must not think that far ahead....must not think that far ahead....

On a happier note, I finally got a chance to make something that had been bouncing around in my head. Then he stared at me all night. Introducing...CRAZY LEGS FROG!!


Is that little guy nuts, or WHAT? :) So far he's one of a kind, but I do plan on making more, as well as other types. Crazy legs clown? Crazy legs kitten? I have no idea...I'd love suggestions. :)

He already sold, but his brothers, sisters, and cousing will be showing up soon at LaurelsZoo on Etsy...keep an eye out!

I'll try to post baby hedgie pics soon...when I get a break between feedings!

Laurel's Zoo on Etsy
Laurel's Zoo on ArtFire
Laurel's Zoo on 1000Markets
Laurel's Zoo!

No comments:

Post a Comment